Here are some of the things I’d recommend you do while visiting Vienna …
- Naschmarkt – wonderful open air market with many excellent places to eat;
- Third Man Tour – the Vienna city sewer department has organized a tour of the sewer where the climatic final scene takes place … they also explain how urban sewers work … really interesting and highly recommended. Here is a link to the Vienna Tourist Bureau’s Third Man page.
- Wien Museum (Vienna city museum) – the Wien Museum is one of my favorite museums in Vienna. They have large city models, art, armor suits, maps, period rooms and lots of other interesting exhibits. They also have very interesting exhibits and a nice gift shop.
- Leopold Museum – The Leopold Museum is another favorite. It has a great collection of Jugendstil art (also known as Art Nouveau), great views from the top floor windows and is a manageable size.
- MuseumsQuartier – The MuseumsQuartier in Vienna is one of the world’s best public spaces … be sure to visit in the summer when the space is full of people hanging out on the benches and in the cafes. There are several museums including the Leopold Museum, MUMOK, Architecture Zentrum and a Children’s Museum.
- Walking around the First District
- Cafes and coffeehouses – enjoy a coffee and newspaper from a tuxedo clad waiter;
- Heurigen (Vienna wine tavern) – Vienna is famous for its wine culture, be sure to visit one of the city’s many Heurige … best enjoyed in the vineyards!
- Danube Island
More ideas and information coming soon.